The Florida legislature appropriated $189.9 million for the Gardiner Scholarship in 2020-21. Step Up estimates it will be able to serve approximately 17,000 students on scholarship this year. Scholarships are available on a rolling basis and are prorated quarterly.
Last year Step Up managed $136 million in education savings accounts for 13,219 students. The scholarships averaged $10,305 that year.
- 63.8 percent of students are diagnosed with autism
- 9.8 percent with intellectual disability
- 8.2 percent with rare diseases
- 4.2 percent with anaphylaxis
- 3.1 percent with multiple diagnoses
- 2..7 percent with cerebral palsy
- 2.3 percent as a “high-risk” child
- 2.2 percent with Down syndrome
- 3.7 percent all others