$147.9 million is available for the Gardiner Scholarship in 2019-20. Step Up estimates it will be able to serve approximately 14,000 students on scholarship this year. Scholarships are available on a rolling basis and are prorated quarterly.
Last year Step Up managed $126 million in education savings accounts for 11,458. The scholarships averaged $10,305 that year.
- 63.6 percent of students were diagnosed with autism
- 13 percent have an intellectual disability
- 5.6 percent were diagnosed as a “high-risk” child
- 4.2 percent with rare diseases
- 3.6 percent have multiple disabilities
- 2.7 percent have cerebral palsy
- 2.3 percent have Down syndrome
- 5 percent were diagnosed with one of the other eligible disabilities such as Prader-Willi syndrome, spina bifida, and Williams Syndrome.