How the Reading Scholarship Accounts Work
In 2018, Florida became the first state to offer an education savings account program for students enrolled in public schools. The Reading Scholarship, administered by Step Up For Students, was created to help public school students in third through fifth grade who struggle with reading. The program offers parents access to educational savings accounts, worth $500 each, to pay for tuition and fees related to part-time tutoring, summer and after-school literacy programs, instructional materials and curriculum related to reading or literacy.
- Third- through fifth-grade public school students who scored a 1 or 2 on the third- or fourth-grade English Language Arts section of the Florida Standards Assessment in the prior year.
- Students who are classified as English Language Learners and who are enrolled in a program or receiving services that are specifically designed to meet the instructional needs of English Language Learner students will receive priority.
- The scholarships are worth up to $500 each and can be used for reimbursement for the following:
- Tuition and fees for part-time tutoring provided by a person who holds a valid Florida educator’s certificate, a baccalaureate or graduate degree in the subject, an adjunct teaching certificate, or has a demonstrated mastery of the subject area knowledge.
- Fees for summer education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills.
- Fees for after-school education programs designed to improve reading or literacy skills.
- Instructional materials and curriculum related to reading or literacy.
- Applications will be available beginning Fall of 2018. To be notified when applications are available click here.
- Parents will be responsible for contacting Step Up For Students and applying for the scholarship
- To learn about partnership opportunities with Step Up For Students for the Reading Scholarship Accounts, please click here to sign up for the interest list.
Add Me To The Interest List