Reading Scholarship Accounts
We are currently accepting Reading Scholarship applications for the 2020-21 school year.
Applications are processed on a first-come, first-served basis in the order all documents are received.
In 2018, Florida became the first state to offer an education savings account program for students enrolled in public schools. The Reading Scholarship, administered by Step Up For Students, was created to help public school students in third through fifth grade who struggle with reading. The program offers parents access to educational savings accounts, worth $500 each, to pay for tuition and fees related to part-time tutoring, summer and after-school literacy programs, instructional materials and curriculum related to reading or literacy.
In order to be eligible for a Reading Scholarship Account your child must meet the following requirements:
• Currently enrolled in a Florida public school in third, fourth or fifth grade for the 2020-21 school year, and
• Scored a performance level 1 or 2 on the English Language Arts (ELA) test in the 2018-19 school year, or
• Enrolled in one of Florida’s 300 Lowest Performing Elementary Schools in 2018-19, or
• Enrolled in one of Florida’s elementary schools that earned a D or F school grade in 2018-19, or
• Identified in the 2019-20 school year as having substantial deficiency in reading based on their most recent available screening and progress monitoring assessment.
Students who are classified as English Language Learners, and who are enrolled in a program or receiving services that are specifically designed to meet the instructional needs of English Language Learner students, will receive priority.