Our scholarship programs are expanding, opening doors to more Florida schoolchildren. For the 2021-22 school year, a family of four could have an income of nearly $100,000 annually to be eligible for our private school scholarships worth as much as $7,000 per child, depending on where students lived and their grade level.
- Students entering kindergarten must be 5 on or before Sept. 1.
- Students entering first grade must be 6 on or before Sept. 1.
On May 11, 2021, Governor DeSantis signed legislation that expands access to education choice scholarships. These changes went into effect on July 1, 2021. The new legislation allows more families than ever to be eligible for a scholarship, including:
- Sibling of Gardiner Scholarship students
- Dependent children of a member of the United States Armed Forces
- Students with one of the following diagnoses: speech impairment; language impairment; orthopedic impairment; other health impairment; emotional or behavioral disability; or specific learning disability, including but not limited to dyslexia, dyscalculia, or developmental aphasia
- Paystubs (30 consecutive days closest to when you submit your application)
- Birth certificate if your child is entering kindergarten or first grade.
- Proof of residency for all members in the household (i.e. – health insurance, Medicaid, income documentation, utility bills, court custody documents or residential lease listing household members)
- Any other sources of income (i.e. – unemployment benefits, social security benefits, child support benefits, etc.)
- Driver’s license or passport for primary and secondary parents
|Household Size||Annual Household Gross Income Cap|
Where your child goes to school makes a difference.
Find a new K-12 private school with a Step Up For Students Scholarship. For the 2020-21 school year, scholarships for tuition and fees could be worth as much as $7,000 per child.
Step Up For Students offers two scholarships that are based on your household’s income and not how well your child does in school.
The Florida Tax Credit Scholarship gives families a choice of financial assistance toward private school tuition and fees, or helps with transportation costs for students to attend a public school different than the one they are assigned to. The Family Empowerment Scholarship may be used towards private school tuition and fees.