Children Who are in Foster Care or
Out-Of-Home Care

Step Up For Students has special guidelines for children in foster care or in out-of-home care that are intended to make it easier for them to qualify for the income-based (FTC) scholarship.

A student who is/was placed at any time in foster care or out-of-home care during the current OR previous state fiscal year may be eligible (The state fiscal year runs from July 1 to June 30.)

A child in foster care is defined by the following:
“Foster care” means care provided a child in a foster family or boarding home, group home, agency boarding home, child care institution, or any combination thereof, as defined by s. 39.01(29).

A child in out-of-home care placement is defined by the following:
“Out-of-home” means a placement outside of the home of the parents or a parent, as defined by s. 39.01(48).

“Out-of-Home Care” means the placement of a child in licensed and non-licensed settings, arranged and supervised by the department or contracted service provider, outside of the home of the parent, as defined by DCF Rule: 65C-30.001 Definitions. (91).

These students may apply at any time during the school year. If you are interested in applying for the 2020-21 school year, please call us at 877-735-7837 and we’ll help you get started. If you believe that any child in your care may be eligible, and if you have any questions, please call the contact center as each situation is different.

Required documents:

  • Kindergarten or 1st Grade:

    • Birth certificate or passport.
  • Foster care:

    • A copy of foster care placement paperwork.
    • A copy of the current foster care provider license issued by DCF.
  • Out of home care:

    • The court order signed by the judge and/or DCF placement paperwork.
  • Group Home:

    • The administrator or director should complete the application for the student and submit the required paperwork.

Donate today!

Share This!